What would a celebration of Hollywood’s best be without mercilessly raking its worst over the coals a few times for laughs?
The nominations for the 31st Annual Golden Raspberry Awards, aka the Razzies, were announced yesterday, celebrating the absolute worst abominations to crawl their way out of the Hollywood sewer under the cover of darkness this past year.
Hey, it’s all in good fun and best of all no one gets hurt. This year’s ceremony is being dedicated to Judd Apatow’s sense of humor which sadly passed away this year at the tender age of 43. His sense of humor leaves behind a funny bone that no longer serves any purpose other than to get bashed against things and really, really hurt.
Actually I made that up, but just because it’s made up doesn’t make it not true. Or something like that. Team Ricky! Wooo!
M. Night Shyamlan’s latest debacle “The Last Airbender” and the most recent “Twilight” movie, “Eclipse” each scored nine nominations to lead the pack. All Time Razzie King Sly Stallone picked up his world record 31st nomination for his work directing “The Expendables.” For those keeping score at home, Stallone has more than twice as many nominations as his nearest competitor, Kevin Costner.
Here’s a rundown of the nominees in some of the year’s biggest categories with my predicted… umm… “winners” underlined.
· The Bounty Hunter
· The Last Airbender
· Sex and the City 2
· Vampires Suck
· Jack Black Gulliver’s Travels
· Gerard Butler The Bounty Hunter
· Ashton Kutcher Killers and Valentine’s Day
· Taylor Lautner Eclipse and Valentine’s Day
· Robert Pattinson Remember Me and Eclipse
· Jennifer Aniston The Bounty Hunter and The Switch
· Miley Cyrus The Last Song
· The Four Gal Pals Sex and the City 2
· Megan Fox Jonah Hex
· Kristen Stewart Eclipse
Worst Supporting Actor
· Billy Ray Cyrus The Spy Next Door
· George Lopez Marmaduke, The Spy Next Door and Valentine’s Day
· Dev Patel The Last Airbender
· Jackson Rathbone The Last Airbender and Eclipse
· Rob Schneider Grown Ups
Worst Supporting Actress
· Jessica Alba The Killer Inside Me, Little Fockers, Machete and Valentine’s Day
· Cher Burlesque
· Liza Minnelli Sex and the City 2
· Nicola Peltz The Last Airbender
· Barbra Streisand Little Fockers
Worst Screen Couple/ Ensemble
· Jennifer Aniston and Gerard Butler The Bounty Hunter
· Josh Brolin’s Face and Megan Fox’s accent Jonah Hex
· Cast of The Last Airbender
· Cast of Sex and the City 2
· Cast of Eclipse
· Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer Vampires Suck
· Michael Patrick King Sex and the City 2
· M. Night Shyamalan The Last Airbender
· David Slade Eclipse
· Sly Stallone The Expendables
For a full list of all of this year’s nominees, click here.
The 31st Annual Golden Raspberry Awards will be held on February 26, 2011, at the Barnsdall Gallery Theatre in Hollywood, California. As per Razzies tradition, the nomination ceremony and the awards ceremony each precede their Academy Awards counterpart by one day.